From London’s first urban farm office development to tallest engineered timber office building – we look at some of the city’s most imaginative, sustainable workspaces. They prioritise material reuse, people-first design, functionality and fun.
The Green House | Bethnal Green E2
Owned and managed by The Ethical Property Company – UK leader in providing affordable workspace to charities and community organisations – The Green House provides modern, flexible workspace for 25 charities to work under the same roof.
- EPC A, BREEAM Excellent
- Original concrete structure retained and internal space extended using low-weight CLT structure
- Open plan tea points and comfy breakout spaces create informal hubs on every floor
- Communal roof terrace featuring wild flower meadow
Plantworks | King’s Cross WC1
Plantworks is London’s first urban farm office development. Plant your work, harvest your lunch.
- EPC B, BREEAM Excellent
- Redevelopment of historic 1980s mirror workshop
- Radical indoor farming scheme with state-of-the art hydroponic technology, including melons, blueberries and passionfruit for workers to harvest and enjoy
- People-first design focused on light, spaciousness, and nature
The Bindery | Farringdon EC1
Built on the site of a bookbinder, a jewellery maker, a clockmaker and a metal workshop – inspired by the local history of ‘making’. The Bindery is what office space should be.
- EPC A
- Refurbishment of 1930s Art Deco building
- High uncluttered ceilings, calming natural palette, and huge windows flood the space with light and views
- 5 beautifully designed outdoor garden spaces designed by Chelsea Flower Show “Best in Show” landscape designer, Andy Sturgeon
Here East | Hackney E15
A playful example of post-Olympic East London regeneration. Here East provides a workplace for large and small – tech giants to craftspeople – to work and experiment.
- EPC B, BREEAM Excellent
- Powered by 100% renewable electricity
- ‘The Gantry’ – 3-storey external steel frame (former air conditioning units) – now a “cabinet of curiosities for the 21st century” providing space for artist studios
- ‘The Yard’ – facilities for outdoor cinema, markets, public events, and retro video-game bar
16 Old Bailey | Farringdon EC4
Imposing and historically important, this Grade II listed building has been sensitively redeveloped to meet the demands of today’s occupants.
- EPC A, BREEAM Excellent, WiredScore Platinum
- Retained 92% of original structure and 74% of existing double-glazed unitised cladding
- Sense of light and spaciousness – double height reception elegantly transformed to reflect Edwardian baroque façade
- Informal meeting spaces with oak joinery and soft seating reminiscent of hotel lobby, welcoming visitors and creating calm
One Embankment Place | Westminster WC2
A prominent post-modern building, once so leaky it couldn’t be sufficiently pressurised to get a reading. Tired, awkward, unloved – now one of the world’s greenest.
- EPC A, BREEAM Outstanding (96.31%): world record at the time
- Winner 2014 BCO Best Recycled/ Refurbished Workplace
- Tri-generation cooling, heating and power plant – fuelled by waste vegetable oil collected and locally refined by Olleco
- Cellular offices replaced with large, uncluttered floor plates open to the atriums, allowing natural light to flood in
The Black & White Building | Shoreditch EC2
In the midst of messy, difficult Shoreditch – London’s tallest engineered timber office building. Made from 1,774 beech, spruce and pine trees. Architecturally, a massive leap in complexity.
- Hybrid timber structure comprising beech LVL frame and CLT slabs and core. 37% less embodied carbon than comparable concrete structure (only 410 kgCO2e/m2)
- Frame designed to be fully demountable so parts can be reused
- Vast open-plan spaces with no structural internal partition walls to minimise visual intrusion – layout can be easily adapted
- Each floor has its own communal kitchen area and lounge – a warm homely look and feel
Featured Stories & Insights
The Notebook: Zac Goodman on why there’s life after WeWork for flex offices
AS FEATURED IN CITY AM, Monday 27 November 2023 Where the City’s top thinkers get...Read More
Case Study: How We Transformed a Century-Old Building into Tomorrow’s Workspace
This November, TSP celebrates the completion of 60 Ironmonger. Over the past 11 months, we...Read More
Rockbourne Unplugged: A Tale of Leadership, Legacy, & Achieving Real Estate Excellence
Rockbourne is a business focused on Leadership & Future Leadership Search for real estate owners,...Read More
Centenarian Workspaces: 6 Historic Offices Restored to Splendour
Zac Goodman, CEO, recently shared his insights in a Bloomberg feature: ‘When Recycling Comes to...Read More
Maximise ROI: 5 Property Management Strategies That Add Long-Term Value
At TSP, we use the following five property management strategies to deliver high returns to...Read More
Landlords: “Zoom out, take expert advice, listen to your gut”
An award-winning, modern real estate practice specialising in investment, development, leasing & occupier agency services...Read More
Got a question? Use the form to get in touch.