10 tips for picking the right office lease
Posted 1 week ago by TSP
When the pandemic is over will you be returning to the office?
Flexi-working is here to stay but so is the office. The difference? Companies are looking for high-quality spaces that provide room for collaboration and creativity. It turns out you might need an office upgrade.
If your company is looking for a new office (either bigger, smaller, fancier or funkier)…don’t spend hours on google searching until you have read this article.
We have listed the 10 most important things to consider when looking for choosing a new office.
The (Office) Game Plan_
Looking through property listings is the easy part. The hard part is finding an office space that ticks all the boxes…budget, location, amenities, bike rack, foosball table, beer tap…
Before you fall into a google hole of working out sq. ft vs prices, have a quick read of the 10 essentials so you can pick up you new offices keys a lot faster:
- Consider the length of the lease – including expansion and sub-leasing clauses. Does it offer space for your company to grow?
- Understand which repairs the landlord is responsible for and what happens if they’re not completed promptly.
- Think about your dream office floorpan so you don’t waste time looking at space that won’t work for the start.
- Life post-pandemic will see us use the office differently. Make sure there’s enough room for informal meetings and breakout areas.
- Understand the different types of office leases available. Do you want flexible space or long-term?
- Familiarise yourself with the standard leasing terms or find a Property Manager to help with these if you are not sure
- Talk to your employees and business partners to understand the ideal building and which amenities are a ‘must-have’
- Has the landlord considered occupant wellness or sustainability? Don’t sign a lease that causes a long-term headache.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to look for office space; with so many companies evaluating their needs, quality offices are being snapped up. You don’t want to end up in a broom cupboard.
- Find a Property Manager who understands your needs and can help you find the office that ticks all your boxes.
Benefits of an Office Lease_
There are some clear advantages to shared co-working spaces such as the WeWork model, specifically that leases are flexible, and the office space is move-in ready. But with office leases now changing, the ‘traditional’ option might be a more affordable, even flexible space in the long-run. Some of the key benefits of an office lease:
- Feel at home. Longer-term leases tend to mean you can create a space that suits your needs.
- Networking is fun, but fighting over shared meeting rooms isn’t
- Make the most of local listings such as Google Local so you can be easily found by clients and customers
- While flexible office space looks cheaper in the short-term, over a 1 year they can be much more expensive
Understanding Your Requirements_
Finding a new office space to lease can be time-consuming and complex. Choosing the wrong one is a waste of time and money. That’s why we recommend building an office game plan that can help you identify exactly what you need in your new space.
Need help? Need an office? Hit connect and let’s chat.
We have done the hard work so you don’t have to. Check out the resources below. Sustainability, refurbishment? There is something for everyone.
Spread the word